Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

I am sure that you are all aware that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. This month I celebrated with a good friend her 3 year anniversary of her surgery to remove the cancer that had invaded her breast.  And with a very heavy heart I have learned of another one of my dear friends that will begin her fight with breast cancer.  So as I sat down to make my inspiration card for this weeks Cutting Cafe post I had some inspiration from 2 very strong women whom I love very much.  And because of them I want to stress the importance of Self Breast Exams.  Don't wait until you are 40 and are now old enough to be sent for a routine mammogram.  If you have breasts, do your self exams.  Please.  


I used the digi set, You Gotta Have Hope for my card.   Added some lace from Wild Orchid Crafts, ribbon from Really Reasonable Ribbon, a crocheted flower from My Mind's Eye and a Hope charm to round it off. 

Funny story, last week we were sitting with my daughter and her husband and a commercial came on about donating for breast cancer.  My daughter asked the question, "why do you think they focus so much on breast cancer when there are so many cancers out there? It doesn't seem like they focus as much on the other ones."
My answer, "Because boys like Boobies!"  My husband said, "yup, its cuz we like boobies!!"  My thoughts are that yup our hubbies like boobies, but they would love us with or without those boobies as long as we are still here with them!!

Please make sure to pop over to The Cutting Cafe and check out my teamies inspiration projects.  And don't forget to "Check your bumps for Lumps!"

11 comments:

Reflections from Granny said...

Beautiful Brenda, you always make lovely cards.

Really pretty blog, hugs, Lori m

DeeDee said...

WOW! This is gorgeous with all the crochet! It just makes me smile! :) HUGS!

Kim Kelley said...

This is beautiful Bren. Sorry to here of another friend of yours...hope all goes well for her!

Janie said...

Love love love this card Brenda ! So very pretty ,and girlie !! I pray for both of your friends that they will go into remission and never see this disease again ! Thanks for sharing this beautiful card !!
HUGS,JANIE

Linda said...

This is just gorgeous!! As always very beautiful work!!
Hugs, Linda

Colleen Holmes said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous card Brenda!! Love the lace with the hope! Your answer to your daughters question crack me up. I am so sorry to hear of your friend who is starting the battle and rejoice the other one is past 3 year mark! Love and Hugz!

Sara I. said...

This is absolutely stunning Bren - love the crocheted flower and charm - the whole card is just amazing. So sorry to hear that your friend is battling this - but I'm sure having a wonderful, thoughtful friend like you will bring her much comfort in the fight ahead. ~hugs

Craftdee said...

Beautiful card Brenda, very chic! We are offered free mammograms here once we reach 50 - I feel a jolt every time I hear of someone discovering this cancer as I'm ashamed to say that even though they're free for me I still drag my feet to go. I know, I know ... I'm going this week, promise. My Aunty Ena lost her fight to breast cancer at 44, mu Mum's always on at me that if I have time to make cards I have time to get checked, are Mums ALWAYS right, lol? Dee

Tracy S said...

lol your hubby is right!
Love the card, it is just gorgeous... Really love the look that crocheted lace gives to it.

Tracy S said...

lol your hubby is right!
Love the card, it is just gorgeous... Really love the look that crocheted lace gives to it.

InstinctIS said...

Following the same direction from your post, there is another good freebie place that many are using ... talking about the badges from http://domof.com that show the pagerank and alexa popularity for any domain of interest simply by inserting some small code.